Sunday, November 30, 2008

Talking Big

Isn't it interesting that we are always able to "talk up" the things that we can or will do with our lives. When it comes to goal setting and interpersonal communication, we as a people have a tendency to talk big and hope that no one notices. Why is that?

I think that it is because we are afraid of failure. We don't want to be the guy that set that goal and then came up short. But I am starting to realize that that is not really a bad thing.

I am king of comparisons and talking myself up to other people, (please reference my resume for further explanation) because I am afraid to show other people my weaknesses and failures. "It is not becoming of one such as I." [Reminder to insert previous phrase into resume] However, as I have begun to share my weaknesses and failures with one unfortunate individual, I am become more understanding of my own self; I am learning how to actually fulfill the 'big talk' I so easily dish out.

The key is simply to do. Just go out and do all the nonsense you say you are going to do. If you fail, I completely believe that most of the world will not even notice or care. But sooner or later you will accomplish something amazing, something worth telling the world about. Perhaps even something that can be inserted into your resume without requiring additional embellishing.

And if no one else cares, let me know; I am sure I can spare a few moments to bask in the light of others' achievements-with little to no bitterness.

No comments: