Saturday, November 3, 2012

Tomorrow

I learned this morning that a friend of mine had passed away, which was one of the more sobering messages I have received.  For a time, in high school, I spent almost every day with this friend.  We sang together, we laughed together, and every now and again we attempted to wade in deeper pools of conversation.

I haven't seen my friend in ten years.  After high school we ended on opposite ends of the country and quickly became involved in our new lives and friends.  It's been hard for me to make an emotional connection to the news of his passing, because my life has not been altered in any way.  Tomorrow will not be much different because of what I have learned today.

But as I reflect on my years in high school (which I still regard as some of the best years of my life) I realize how much I was influenced by those around me.  I discovered a passion at 16 and learned how to develop it by watching my friends grow.  I found courage my senior year by watching my friends fearlessly put their talents on public alters, almost guileless of potential criticism and failure.  Most of all, I learned to love a group of kids, regardless of who they were are what they believed.  I loved them because they loved me.

Because of the countless days I spent with my late friend, I learned to believe in people - and believe that the best days are ahead.  I learned that the time spent singing, laughing, and dabbling in intelectual theory strengthened my character and shaped who I am today.

I was wrong.  My life has been altered.  I have had the blessing of being reminded of the good in people, though through the saddest of circumstances.  I am reminded that there are still bright tomorrows if we stop to recognize the good around us today.  My tomorrow will be very different because of what I have learned today.

Thank You, Jeff.  I will miss you and will continue to carry the sweet memories of our time together with me; in hopes that I too, may inspire my friends with the lessons I learned from you.

1 comment:

Leann Nelson said...

So well said! Thank you for sharing these sweet thoughts! Sorry for that sad news.